Meringue: useful properties and recipes for cooking
The light and airy structure of meringue makes the dish unique. The delicious dessert has acquired many fans around the world. The cooking technology captivates with its simple execution. The fluffy dessert goes perfectly with a cup of hot tea. Its exquisite creamy texture makes it possible to make different variations with shapes. The addition of food colorings helps to create a festive mood and add a touch of optimism. This dessert is one of the healthy goodies. Children love this treat, and its taste is revered by people of all ages. Before its airy texture and stretchy filling will not resist lovers of sweet desserts.
- What is meringue
- Types of
- What's the difference between meringue and meringue
- Composition and Calories
- What is useful for meringue
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- For weight loss
- With gastritis
- In pancreatitis.
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to store properly meringue
- Can I freeze?
- How to cook meringue: Recipes
- Recipe with Vanilla Sugar
- Meringue with lemon juice
- Meringue on Sticks Recipe
- Coconut Chip Recipe
- Multicolored Meringue Recipe
- How to Eat Etiquette Meringue
- Interesting Facts
What is meringue
Meringue is an airy dessert that has egg whites whipped with sugar. The homeland of this dish is France, which began producing the dessert back in the 17th century. Some manufacturers add vanilla, almond extract and other additives to enhance the flavor. To make the meringue as tasty as possible, you need to use only natural ingredients.
The soft filling of the dessert is covered with a crispy layer that seems to melt on the tongue. Food dyes can be added to the meringue filling to create a certain color pigment. Adding different ingredients helps to achieve the different flavor fillings that people like so much.
- French meringue. This type is a classic that is still relevant today. There are only two ingredients: egg whites and white sugar. This type is quite simple to prepare and is a necessary base for other culinary variations. It is baked in the oven at a temperature no higher than 90 degrees.
- Swiss meringue. This type contains three components: egg white, white sugar and vanillin. It is cooked at 70 degrees. The characteristic taste of vanilla adds refined and unique flavor notes to the dish.
- Italian meringue. This type holds its shape well and has a particularly smooth top layer. The meringue turns out very crispy. The main secret is to prepare a syrup of water and sugar, which later binds with the protein. This method makes it possible to achieve the correct and perfect shape.
What is the difference between meringue and meringue
These two concepts are very often confused with each other. Both dishes have the same set of products, but there is one distinguishing feature. Meringue consists of cream, which has a thick consistency. Meringue is a finished cake that has been baked in the oven from meringue.
There is also a difference in the storage of the products. Meringue can only be stored for a long time at a low temperature, and meringue can be stored dry indoors.
Composition and calories
The basic composition of the airy dessert includes:
- Egg white.
- White sugar.
Other products can be used as food additives, which give a rich flavor and nuance. The classic meringue has a white color.
- The caloric value of this dish per 100 g is 305 kcal.
- Protein - 2.5 g.
- Fats - 0 g.
- Carbohydrates - 80 gr.
This dish is a dessert, so it is better to eat it in limited quantities. The high protein content helps in the formation of muscle mass, and the necessary carbohydrates will add energy for the whole day. This dessert refers to fast carbohydrates, which are easily digested by the body. The French dish is completely fat-free, which helps in the fight against excess weight with proper exercise.
How is meringue useful?
- The French dessert contains a large amount of niacin, which helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and helps improve memory concentration. Also useful properties of this substance are normalization of the digestive system and increasing the body's resistance to stress and nervous overload. The substance contained in the chicken egg helps to eliminate harmful toxins from the liver cells.
- If this dessert is eaten in the morning, it will saturate the body with glucose and improve your mood.
- The content of a large number of carbohydrates and B vitamins allows you to enjoy a delicious and quite useful treat.
B-group vitamins, which are contained in meringue, favorably affect the female body. They allow to normalize the hormonal background, affect the appearance. In sufficient quantities, it improves hair, strengthens nail plates, participates in the production of hemoglobin and helps to reduce bad cholesterol. The addition of sugar significantly improves mood and enriches the body with glucose, which gives energy.
The high calcium content allows the nails and bones to be in good condition. Consumption of this dessert in the morning in limited quantities does not lead to the formation of excess weight. The magnesium contained in the chicken protein allows you to fix the nervous system. Also, the dessert is easily digestible, after its consumption there will be no problems with the digestive system. Sodium and potassium help to maintain water-alkaline balance. This helps to eliminate edema, which is beneficial for the health of the body and maintaining a fresh, rested look.
For men, this dessert helps improve the cardiovascular system and improves memory concentration. Useful protein participates in digestive metabolism and allows the body to work like clockwork. Glucose gives a boost of energy and is an excellent mood enhancer. Niacin regulates the level of acidity in the stomach, which is an important function for comfortable digestion.
B vitamins supply the male body with useful substances. Protein, which is well assimilated, allows men who are actively engaged in sports to build muscle mass. Consuming sweetness in the first half of the day, you can not be afraid of gaining excess weight.
Iron and magnesium and high protein content increase male potency and give energy for the whole day. Vitamin PP helps speed up the metabolism and removes harmful toxins from the body.
Chicken egg white contains many vitamins and minerals that are much needed during pregnancy. Iron helps restore hemoglobin levels, which are so often lacking. The high calcium and magnesium content allows the nervous system to work properly, strengthen bones, nails and hair. Sodium and potassium prevent stagnation of excess fluid in the body. There is a normalization of blood pressure, as well as increased concentration.
To the child who is in the womb, these components help in mental development. Useful sweet improves mood and normalizes the hormonal background, which often changes during pregnancy. The consumption of meringue in small quantities is fully justified. This sweet can be eaten throughout pregnancy, as well as immediately after childbirth.
Young mothers after giving birth are very careful to watch their diet so as not to harm their baby. Bezhe is absolutely no threat. However, the baby may be allergic to the addition of artificial dyes, so you should pay attention to the natural composition. It will provide the mother's milk with the necessary B vitamins, as well as other, no less useful micronutrients.
The newborn will receive iron and calcium. They are involved in bone formation and brain activity. When breastfeeding, you need to be careful about your health, giving preference to natural formulas.
For children, such treats can be introduced into the diet from the age of three. Chicken egg white is a source of protein, which is so important in the development of the child's body. B and PP vitamins regulate blood cholesterol levels. They enrich the child's body with the necessary substances that contribute to comfortable digestion.
In childhood, there are increased stress on the brain and physical activity. This period is associated with the formation of bones, which need a high calcium content. Meringue is an additional tasty ingredient that can provide children's bodies with beneficial trace elements. In the formation of brain activity is involved magnesium, which is also available in sufficient quantities. Also magnesium helps the nervous system and fights against excessive excitability in children.
A tasty dessert will help raise blood glucose, which is responsible for activity. The taste improves mood and gives strength to cope with difficult tasks in this difficult age.
When losing weight.
Many people in the pursuit of beauty ideals completely abandon sugar and all sweet products. This approach is fundamentally wrong. Sweet foods should be present in any balanced diet, even when losing weight. During this period, the body needs healthy B vitamins, which are contained in meringue. Protein participates in the digestive system and allows you to properly supplement the diet of any person losing weight. It is not necessary to avoid carbohydrates altogether.
There is a basic rule that all experienced dieticians and people who follow a healthy diet follow. Carbohydrates should be absorbed in the first half of the day, then they will go into energy and burn. You should not consume meringue in the evening, as its caloric content is high. A dosed amount of a delicious dessert will delight in its taste without the danger of depositing into extra pounds.
Gastritis is called the disease of our time. Inflamed walls of the stomach require a strict diet to avoid recurrences of the disease. On an empty stomach, of course, such sweets should not be consumed. After lunch or dinner, you can eat a tasty dessert in small quantities. Gastritis is associated with increased production of gastric juice, which has an irritating effect on the inflamed walls of the stomach.
In meringue there are absolutely no components that can provoke an increased irritant effect and increase the amount of gastric juice. This type of sweet is one of the allowed in this difficult disease. Its soft and delicate texture is well digested in the stomach and enriches the body with B vitamins. With chronic gastritis, micronutrients are slightly worse absorbed, so in combination with a proper diet, this dessert can be extremely useful.
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas, which is responsible for the entire digestion and insulin production. This disease has a fairly extensive list of contraindications in the diet. Meringue is one of the allowed sweets, which you can sometimes indulge in when the acute form is over.
French dessert has absolutely no effect on the pancreas due to its delicate texture and the use of natural ingredients. Foods with unnatural food colorings should be avoided for this disease. Also meringue in limited quantities does not require the production of enzymes in large quantities.
You can get the necessary B and PP vitamins and useful trace elements by eating meringue in combination with other approved foods as a tasty dessert. Meringue can be used as an alternative to heavy and buttery cakes, which are completely contraindicated for this disease.
Harms and contraindications
No matter how delicious this treat is, there will always be contraindications that prohibit the consumption of the product, even in minimal quantities.
- The main contraindication is an individual intolerance of egg white. It is very rare, but still there are such cases, and in such cases you should give up this dish.
- Diabetes mellitus. This disease is characterized by an increased amount of glucose in the blood. In the list of products, meringue is under prohibition because of its high sugar content.
- Large excess weight. Weight loss is possible with strict adherence to a diet. If you are obese, nutritionists around the world recommend abstaining from this product, at least for the first time.
- The large amount of sweets has a negative effect on the teeth. They lead to the formation of cavities and other dental diseases.
How to store meringues correctly
The exquisite dessert should be stored in an airtight container with a tight lid that fits securely over the entire surface. Meringue has a short shelf life, especially homemade. The treat is stored at room temperature no higher than 25 degrees. In bright sunlight, it quickly begins to spoil and lose its attractive shape. The place of storage should be securely covered from the penetration of sunlight, which contributes to melting.
Can I Freeze
At low temperatures, the finished product begins to harden and lose its taste properties. If necessary, it can be subjected to the freezing process, but the taste will be almost lost.
How to cook meringue: recipes
A fairly simple cooking process has many variations. Each recipe has its own individual taste.
Cooking meringue requires special clarity. Its structure can be disturbed by a few drops of water on the dishes or the addition of a small amount of yolk. It is important to wipe all dishes dry and separate the whites from the yolks with special devices. Only then can the desired consistency be achieved. It will serve as the basic structure for the dessert.
Professional chefs whip egg whites only with a whisk. Their movements are directed in different directions as well as up and down. This allows you to achieve the right consistency and thick foam.
Recipe with vanilla sugar
- Egg (only white is used) - 3 pieces.
- White sugar - 150 gr.
- Vanilla sugar - 1 tbsp.
Step by step recipe:
- Separate the yolk from the white and repeat the procedure with all the eggs. This procedure is very important. From the clear separation of the whites from the yolks will depend on the subsequent success of the dish. Place the egg whites in a deep container.
- Mix the white sugar with the vanilla sugar and stir until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Pour the whites into the mixer bowl and whip until deep foam. If you don't have a mixer, you can use a blender or a whisk. The main thing is that the consistency is completely homogeneous, with a foam. Beat on high speed.
- Add the mixed sugar to the resulting protein mass and turn the blender back on maximum power. The most important thing is to achieve a complete dissolution of sugar crystals and a homogeneous structure.
- Place a special baking paper on a rectangular baking sheet and trim it so that it does not go over the edges.
- Place the cream mixture from the mixer in a piping bag. It should have a special shape to ensure that all the treats turn out the same shape and texture. The classic shape is considered to be that resembling a small flower. Nozzles can be of different sizes.
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 120 degrees and bake the sweets for 40 minutes until they are completely ready.
The dish is considered fully ready when its shape takes on a solid state. The meringue should be cooled naturally before eating.
Meringue with the addition of lemon juice
- Egg (only white is used) - 4 pieces.
- Sugar powder - 150 g.
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp.
Step by step recipe:
- Break the eggs into a deep container and separate the whites from the yolks. This process should be paid special attention. The whites must be completely separated.
- Pour the egg whites into the mixer bowl and beat at high speed until a thick foam forms.
- Add the lemon juice and powdered sugar to the mixture. Mix all the products on high speed. The average time is 3-5 minutes. Lemon juice makes the cream smoother and more even in texture.
- Place the liquid mass in a pastry bag or put in a pastry syringe with a large-shaped nozzle.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper, spreading it out to the width. Press small flower-shaped meringues onto the baking sheet.
- After filling the entire baking tray with sweets, put it in the oven. Baking temperature - about 100 degrees, time - 2 hours.
Meringues are considered ready when they harden. They should be served at room temperature.
Recipe for meringue on sticks
- Egg (only white is used) - 4 pieces.
- White sugar - 170 gr.
- Vanilla - 15 g.
If desired, you can use food coloring to give color.
Step by step recipe:
- Beat the eggs in a separate container and separate the yolk from the white. Repeat the procedure with all the eggs.
- Whisk egg whites in a blender or mixer until smooth and frothy.
- In the same container add white sugar and vanilla. Mix until the sugar crystals have dissolved and the mass is homogeneous.
- For flavoring and tinting, use food coloring, which is placed in the same container and stir until homogeneous in color and froth.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag. Create beautiful, evenly shaped meringues. The shape can be with round curls.
- Add small skewers to each billet. Send to the preheated oven for 2 hours at about 90 degrees.
After cooling, the form should be completely hardened and firm. Bright and delicious meringues will be a good decoration for the table.
Recipe with coconut shavings
- Egg (use whites only) - 2 pieces.
- Sugar powder - 100 gr.
- Citric acid - 1 pinch.
- Coconut shavings - 2 tablespoons.
Step by step recipe:
- In a deep container, beat all the eggs. Separate the whites from the yolks. In this recipe, only the whites are used.
- Beat the whites to a thick foam. For this purpose, use a mixer or a household whisk.
- Add powdered sugar and citric acid to the mixture. Mix well until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Add the coconut flakes evenly and mix.
- Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag. If you don't have one, you can just spread it with a small spoon and shape it.
- Spread the meringue mixture on a baking tray lined with baking paper and shape it.
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees and put the future dessert in it. Bake for 2 hours.
The coconut texture gives a subtle flavor and makes the dish even more delicious. The meringue should be cooled to room temperature and served.
Multicolored meringue recipe.
- Egg whites - 3 pieces.
- Sugar powder - 100 gr.
- Fine ground almonds - 100 gr.
- White sugar - 100 gr.
- Multicolored food coloring.
Step by step recipe:
- Add the almonds and powdered sugar in a deep container. Mix the components together.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites in a separate container. Only egg whites are used. Beat them with a mixer on high speed until homogeneous and thick foam.
- Add the sugar to the protein mixture and stir until the crystals have dissolved and the consistency is thick.
- Add the first bowl of almond powder to the bowl of whites and sugar. Stir until homogeneous. The consistency should be thick and fluffy.
- Add colors to the stiff mixture according to taste and color. Stir until homogenous in color.
- Place the dense texture in a pastry bag. If you don't have one, you can use an ordinary teaspoon.
- Cover a baking dish with baking paper and form a nice shape.
- Heat the oven to 120 degrees and bake for about half an hour.
When ready, the meringues have a firm texture and separate well from the baking paper. Such a dessert is served in a chilled form. Its delicate texture allows it to melt in the mouth.
How to eat meringue properly according to etiquette
Meringue is considered one of the most popular gourmet recipes. The appearance of such a delicacy on the table is a real decoration of the holiday. Etiquette does not prohibit eating meringue with your hands. The necessary amount should be put on a saucer or a small plate. The meringue should be eaten over them, so that the crumbs do not fly all over the table and the floor. Using a dessert spoon or knife is not justified here. Meringue has a small size and solid texture, so there is no need for cutlery.
If the treat has a fairly large shape, it can be cut into two equal parts with an ordinary dessert knife for convenience. After the tea party, a napkin should be used. Such rules of etiquette dictate modern society.
There are many interesting facts about this dessert:
- The story goes that it was invented on a holiday evening, when the cook had only two products left on the table: sugar and eggs. Showing a little imagination, he came up with this delicious and welcome recipe.
- The dessert contains protein, which is easily absorbed by the body and helps to gain muscle mass during training. This fact will please athletes and other people who watch out for a figure.
- In Spain, there is a very romantic tradition. The groom hides the ring in a soft meringue filling. The girl, completely unaware, takes a bite of the treat. The young man gets down on one knee and confesses his feelings.
- This delicacy is completely unsuitable for storage at low temperatures. It loses its taste and begins to dry quickly. A good option would be glass containers that are tightly closed with a lid.
- On the basis of meringue created a large number of delicious recipes. Professional chefs continue to experiment and create new recipes for dishes based on meringue cream. It also serves as a decoration for many desserts at festive celebrations.
- In the city of Seoul, meringue coffee was created just a few years ago. The dish is served in a cup with a top layer of meringue cubes that you can eat. They don't melt in the coffee drink, but stand on top of it. The cubes hold their shape well and keep the drink warm. This dish is very beloved by visitors and tourists.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only purposes. Before applying any recommendations, consult a specialized specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."