Dried dates: useful properties and contraindications.
Dried dates are a sweet sunny fruit known to mankind for more than 6 thousand years. "The bread of the desert" they call it in Arab countries. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco are countries with a dry tropical climate rich in sunshine. It was there that the sweet fruits of the date palm were enjoyed by distant primitive people. Over time, plantations of this tree appeared in other African countries with similar climates. In Mexico, California in the U.S., and Australia, plantations of the sweet-fruited tree are now also found. In Israel, date palms are planted along the edges of roads.
- Composition and calories
- What are the benefits of dried dates
- For Women
- For Men
- For children
- For weight loss
- Dried dates in medicine
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to choose and store Dried Dates
- How to eat Dried Dates
- Do they need to be washed before use?
- What to make from dried dates: Recipes
- Dessert made of dates
- Halva with Dates and Raisins
- Snack Rolls
- Raw Fried Jelly Beans
- Red Beauty Salad
- D dates in bacon
- Date compote
- Date Jam
- Interesting Facts about Dates
The tree has a pretty decent growth period of one hundred years. It grows slowly, at night, and the daytime is the time for photosynthesis processes.
The uniqueness of dates is due to their nutritional properties, rich composition of minerals, amino acids, dietary fiber and vitamins. The fruit of the date tree helps in the treatment of hypovitaminosis, normalization of heart and liver function. The presence of vitamins in the sweet date fruit gives the skin a healthy look, elasticity. Proved beneficial effects of dates on the nervous system and brain function.
Composition and calories
Dried dates have a higher caloric value (275 kcal per 100 grams) compared to most fresh fruits. Dried dates, raisins and figs are not inferior to each other in caloric content. Carbohydrates account for most of the date calories. They contain 75 g of carbohydrates in 100 g, while fiber and protein amount to 7 g and 2 g respectively.
- 0.2-0.5% is the amount of fat in dates. Fats are a source of energy for humans, but in excess, they can be deposited and lead to obesity and various diseases. That is why eating dates, thanks to their extremely low fat content, is a fast hunger quencher especially for those who are concerned about having extra pounds.
- Minerals include potassium with 20% of the daily allowance, copper with 18%, followed by manganese and magnesium with about 15% each. The least amount of iron is 5% of the daily rate.
- Of vitamins, the most prominent is B6 with 12%. The content of vitamins A, E and PP is also significant.
- The date fruit is rich in antioxidants, of which two dozen can be distinguished pantothenic acid, thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine.
The composition and high caloric value of dates makes them useful for the body as a whole, helps to recover from illnesses.
What are the benefits of dried dates
The fruit of the date tree can be a treat, a meal, and a remedy for prolonging youth.
Dates are useful for women to maintain the overall health of the body.
- In the crisis course of hypertension, a specialist can advise the inclusion of this product in the daily diet.
- When a woman is forced to follow a diet and does not want to give up an active lifestyle, then the use of dates in food - a very good decision. After all, they are a treasure trove of trace elements and a natural energotonika.
- If a woman feels a decrease in libido, then the use of this fruit she just needs.
- Dates - a product that, thanks to the presence of a variety of useful substances will help women during the age-related changes in the body associated with menopause.
- Dates are useful for the stronger sex to preserve energy in the muscles during physical activity, especially athletes. Eating a few dates before a workout will help the male body maintain strength.
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2) is necessary for a man to improve his reproductive system.
- If dates are systematically present in a man's diet, he will not have problems with potency.
- Thanks to the fruit of the date tree, reproductive, brain activity, physical stamina of the male body improves.
The mild but laxative effect of the product allows you to consume at least a dozen of its fruits a day. An expectant mother who supplements her food with dried dates, helps the growing fetus to replenish the body with necessary minerals and vitamins. Thanks to the fruit of the date palm, a pregnant woman bypasses such problems as brittle nails, hair loss, destruction of tooth enamel.
The product helps to eliminate excess fluid from the body of pregnant women, which means prevention of edema and leg veins, as well as kidney and urinary tract diseases.
According to experts, the date palm fruit strengthens the muscular layer of the uterus and makes it easier to carry a baby.
Studies have proven that eating dried dates a few weeks before delivery helps to relax and open the cervix naturally. Therefore, there is no need to stimulate the birth process. In addition, the duration of contractions is shortened. Dates are an exceptionally useful natural product that prepares the woman for natural childbirth.
In the postpartum period, date fruits help a woman recover faster. But the most important thing is that the product contributes to the better production of breast milk. It also becomes saturated and nutritious, which is very important for the body of the born child.
Increases the protective properties of the immune system as a mother and child receiving with breast milk, the whole composition of the useful substances of dried dates.
Absence of food allergies allows the baby to introduce him to the fruit of the palm tree from about 10-12 months. He can consume them in the form of compotes and purees. But the best age for fearless introduction to the diet of a child dates - a year and a half or two years.
These fruits are especially recommended to weakened and prematurely born children and those who have had viral or bacterial infections, because dates have the so-called "instant" energy.
Consumption of children dates in a dry form or as part of compotes, homemade dishes helps to strengthen the immune system, improve brain activity, strengthen the bone system. So that a sick child recovered as quickly as possible, he should offer these sweet fruits.
When losing weight
Dates have one very interesting property: because of the high caloric content of this product causes rapid satiety. Therefore, not all nutritionists advise them for getting rid of extra pounds.
But still dried dates are appropriate for days of unloading. They are very good substitutes for sugar. After consuming them, the desire to eat something sweet already passes. They are very helpful during snack time. The sucrose contained in the product has the property not to be deposited in the body, but to be converted into an energy reserve.
The date diet is very good for eliminating excess water from the body, normalizing metabolic processes, removing toxins and plant fibers.
Dried dates in medicine
Dates are a fruit whose uniqueness was proven more than six thousand years ago. To prolong human life and improve health - that is what dried dates "served" and "serve". But still most of all they are perceived as a wonderful sweet that grows on a tree.
According to some scientists, if one eats only dates daily and drinks water as needed, one can live several years. But there is no actual evidence associated with such consumption of dates. But the thousands of years of history of their consumption by numerous peoples of the world is a strong proof of that.
- Strengthening the immune system is especially needed in the spring period of vitamin deficiency and the danger of catching a viral disease. In this case, dates cannot be replaced by any other product.
- Cough, bronchitis, phlegm discharge are the reasons for which the use of dates is recommended by experts. Milk, in which a dozen dates are boiled, helps to cough. Such "medicine" of 500 ml of milk with sweet dried fruits will not only cure the cough, but also get rid of all signs of a cold in just one week. Drink it during the day for a few minutes before a meal.
- Intestinal health can be maintained by regular consumption of the fruit of the date tree. The dietary fiber contained in them, that is, fiber, helps to stimulate intestinal peristalsis, thanks to which a person does not have problems with stool. The gastrointestinal tract cleansing help contain soluble and insoluble fiber, many amino acids. The use of this product contributes not only to the effective work of the intestines. Colitis, hemorrhoids and colon cancer are unlikely to appear in a person who has no problems with bowel function. Plus, the nicotine in dates promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in it and suppresses disease-causing bacteria.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of the product provides magnesium. Numerous studies have proven: cardiovascular disease, arthritis, Alzheimer's disease and other pathologies arising from inflammatory processes in the body, proceed without much complication, if, in addition to the main means of treatment, dates are used as a supplement in the diet of the patient.
- For the health of bones and teeth, the prevention of osteoporosis requires minerals, namely selenium, manganese, copper and magnesium. Since dried dates are famous for their content, this is the fruit that should be in the diet (especially for the elderly). Gums and tooth enamel are strengthened thanks to fluoride and zinc in the fruit.
- Dates help normalize blood pressure and heart function. Magnesium and potassium play major roles in these processes.
- Daily consumption of 100 g of magnesium reduces the risk of stroke. In 100 g of dried dates its content is half of the norm. Therefore, for those people who have a risk of stroke, the fruit of the palm tree is the best product for the prevention of the disease.
- Dates are called the product of longevity. This fame is due to the antioxidants that are present in the fruit and prevent early aging. Vitamins A, B1, B2 as well as minerals calcium, phosphorus, iron and magnesium give the skin beauty and elasticity.
- Gynecologists advise pregnant women to be sure to include dates in the diet, especially in the last months. This increases the tone of the uterus, and the labor will be less painful.
- In the prevention of anemia there is no substitute for dates, because they have a very high iron content. And other minerals also contribute to the process of hematopoiesis.
- Brain activity depends on the presence of B vitamins in the body. There are many of them in dates, in particular vitamins B6, B9, B12, which reduce homocysteine levels. High levels of homocysteine increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease.
- Not all fruits, unlike dates, contain organic sulfur. Allergic reactions are reduced because of this chemical element. Allergic rhinitis has been proven to decrease if a person eats dried dates.
- Dates are a natural aphrodisiac. Men who regularly consume dates can not worry about potency. In addition, thanks to estradiol and flavonoid components, the number and activity of sperm increases in the stronger sex. Women have increased libido and reduced infertility, which was a consequence of sexual frustration.
- The medicinal property of dates helps with a heavy hangover. However, for this purpose, it is better to use them in soaked form. If you are going to have a feast with a lot of alcohol, dates will help to sober up more quickly (they should be eaten immediately after it is over).
The fruit of the date tree is considered dangerous for diabetics. However, sometimes they can save such a person from death. When a patient falls into a hypoglycemic coma, a couple of dates can bring him back to normal. Low blood glucose levels in a diabetic patient can be increased by using one or two dates instead of a piece of sugar, candy, or chocolate bar.
The role of dates as a healthy product for medicinal purposes is multifaceted. However, most people see them as a delicious oriental sweet.
Harms and contraindications
Whatever advantages nature has endowed this fruit, it can still create serious problems if the person has an allergy to some substances it contains.
- People with diabetes need to remember that dates are very high in sugars.
- If a person has a stomach ulcer, colic or diseases of the liver or pancreas, dates, because of their high fiber content, can make it difficult for the digestive organs to function.
- Being overweight is also a reason not to consume the date fruit, which is high in carbohydrates and high in calories.
It is not worth testing your health by getting pleasure from eating a tasty, not always useful product.
How to choose and store dried dates
Because of the long distances associated with the delivery of dates and their storage, the product is treated with a certain composition. This can be sugar or glucose syrup, fat or glycerin, occasionally sulfur dioxide. Self-ripened and untreated dates are quite expensive and rarely available on the market.
When selecting dried dates, you should pay attention to some attributes. Mature dates that have undergone minimal treatment should have a dark brown color with a matte surface. Solid skin without cracks indicates natural drying, while oven-dried dates will have peeling skin and a very dark color. Poorly dried dates are shriveled. The syrup treatment is indicated by fruit sticking together with residual sugar crystals. Dates may appear shiny if they have been treated with fat. You can feel it with your fingers. If there are traces of mold on the fruit, you should not buy them.
It is believed that dried pitted fruits are not processed as often as peeled fruits. That is why this rule applies to dates with seeds.
For long-term storage, dates are placed in a container and covered so that during their stay in the refrigerator they do not absorb the smells of other products. For short-term storage, an airtight container, a bag and a dark cool place are enough.
It is necessary to know: you can store only washed and pitted dates.
How to eat dried dates correctly
Only the correct eating of dates can bring benefits to the body.
- So, you can not combine the palm fruit with orange, lemon and other citrus fruits. A large amount of carbohydrates with sour fruit can lead to stomach upset.
- You should not eat dates at bedtime: they tend to digest for a long time.
- Their excessive consumption can cause gastrointestinal disorders, the result of which may be constipation.
- The maximum daily allowance of dried dates is 10 pieces for adults. For children, a daily rate of up to 3 pieces is sufficient: exceeding it may cause constipation because of the long period of their digestion by the stomach.
Do I have to wash them before eating them?
Washing dates before eating is an obligatory procedure, because transportation is always associated with dust and dirt. It is very important to wash fruit treated with chemicals, syrup and fat. Syrup and fat become the layer in which pathogenic microbes find a place and multiply.
Dates are a product that absorbs moisture well, so water can ruin their appearance and taste. To prevent this from happening, it is important to follow certain rules:
- Dates washed in hot water are not suitable for use: their dense skin cracks and the pulp becomes boiled.
- Overcooked fruits are washed under running cool water in a colander. Washing in small batches will identify the most contaminated and trimmed dates.
- After rinsing, the fruits are rinsed with ice-cold water and placed to dry on a towel, preferably a paper towel. Cover them with another towel and wait for them to dry completely.
What can be made from dried dates: recipes
Although dried dates are suitable for eating already after washing and drying, many cooks use them in their dishes.
- Vegetarians or those who are just about to give up eating meat can use a very simple dish of two dates and a glass of milk. Thanks to it, they will get all the necessary amino acids.
- Particularly tasty is baking with crushed fruit pulp.
- Syrup from dates, called honey, wine and vinegar are also part of the arsenal of culinary delights.
- Pitted dates are stuffed with nuts, orange and lemon peels, previously candied. Cheese will also do.
- Gourmets know chicken stuffed with dates.
Dessert with dates
- Rinse and pitted dates and dry them on a towel.
- The camembert cheese, prepared in the form of thinly sliced strips, is placed inside the fruit. Then a couple of cashews, peanuts or pecans are pressed in.
- The dessert is placed on a baking tray and left in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Thyme leaves on top will decorate the sweet dish.
Halva with dates and raisins
Seeds, dried fruits, taken respectively 250 and 125 g, are all you need for such halva.
- Rinsed, dried and ground in a blender dried fruits are combined with crushed seeds.
- Mixed together the ingredients are placed in any shape to form candy or sausage. If the halva crumbles, you can use honey.
- Keep the dessert in the fridge for at least one hour, then serve it.
For this original and unusual dish, you need the following components:
- roasted almonds - approximately 1 cup;
- Dried dates - 1.5 cups;
- peanut paste - 2 tablespoons;
- cinnamon - 1 teaspoon;
- A pinch of sea salt and sesame seeds for decoration.
The individually chopped nuts and dates are mixed together. Peanut paste is then added, which gives the mixture a pasty state. A mixture of sesame, cinnamon and salt is sprinkled on the formed balls. Put the formed balls in a container in the refrigerator for an hour. After that, beautifully arranged on a plate balls can surprise guests or family.
Rawfood Jelly Bean
For this sweet dish, only 250 grams of dried dates and sesame seeds are needed.
The products are pre-soaked for about 2 hours. Use a food processor to turn both ingredients into a smooth and viscous mass. Formed in any shape, the kozinaki is sent to a dehytrator for 12-18 hours at 39 degrees. The dryness and brittleness of the product will tell you that it is ready for consumption.
Salad "Red Beauty"
The peculiarity of this eastern dish is that, in addition to dried dates, it contains dried tomatoes and cucumbers.
- It is necessary to begin preparation with couscous, which in the amount of 500 g is boiled according to the recipe on the package.
- Cooked and cooled couscous is added to finely chopped dried dates (300 g), tomatoes (200 g) and a medium-sized cucumber.
- Dress the salad with the juice of two lemons, 5 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. Decorated with chopped coriander you decorate the salad "Red Beauty".
Dates in bacon
10 dates with seeds removed are cut and filled with a small amount of cheese (200 gr) with cheese powder. Place one almond each on top of the cheese.
The dates filled in this way are wrapped in the prepared bacon strips (450 g), secured with a toothpick and sent to the oven. After baking at 170 degrees and crusting, place the finished rolls on an arugula leaf and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. The dish is made for 8-10 people.
In addition to dates (200-250 gr.) there are 6 oranges peeled and cut into small pieces. Both ingredients are put in a pot. Sugar in the amount of 1 cup is fried in a pan, then pour 4 cups of water.
Grated orange zest will add flavor to the citrus and increase the amount of vitamins. The fruit is poured with sweet water and brought to a boil. Three to five minutes after boiling, take the compote off the fire and cool it, then place it in the fridge to cool and infuse it.
To give the drink a special taste, you can add honey, about 1 spoon, chopped nuts and cinnamon.
This sweet dish, especially in the morning with tea, porridge, pancakes will not only cheer you up, but also energize you for the whole day.
Pour 400 grams of sugar into a saucepan with water (3 cups) and bring it to a boil. Then, after the complete dissolution of sugar, pour dates, washed, peeled of seeds and finely chopped (600 g). Boil the jam until fully cooked for 45 minutes. The finished product is poured into a jar, cover tightly and after cooling place in the refrigerator.
Dried dates are rich in all kinds of useful substances. Therefore, dishes cooked from them become not only "suppliers" of vitamins in the body, but also a pleasant pleasure.
Interesting facts about dates
- Linguists believe that the name dates were given by the Greeks. The fruit looks like a finger, so they began to call it "dactylos", a word that means "finger" in Greek.
- It is an interesting fact that in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs the year was indicated by the image of a palm tree, because 12 leaves grow on it during the year.
- 50 times is how many dates are mentioned in the Bible. There is even an opinion that the date palm grew in paradise, "a tree pleasant to look at and good for food."
- Cultivation of the tree began 6,000 years ago in an area near the Persian Gulf. It is believed to be the first tree in the world to be cultivated.
- The ancient Egyptians realized the value of the fruit of the palm tree 4,000 years ago and began to eat it as it ripened. Dates were dried and made into wine. Today, Egypt is the main supplier of dried dates to the world market. Saudi Arabia (the state where this product began its history) is the third largest supplier after Iran.
- 15-26, sometimes 30 meters is the height of the date palm. Fruiting begins in the fourth year, but full-fledged only from the 5th-6th year of the tree's life.
- 60-80 kg is the number of fruits from a 13-year-old tree, and improved varieties can give all 100-150 kg. The most active period of fruiting belongs to palms at the age of 60-80 years.
- Surprisingly, the seeds of the date tree can "sleep". "Sleep" can last for several decades, until light and water in the right amount are available.
- The date palm is used not only as a source of tasty fruit, but also as a building material and a base for making fabric. "The tree of life" is called it in the Middle East. Israel and Saudi Arabia have made the image of this tree a national symbol.
- Alkaline soils are most favorable for the germination of the palm tree, so ocean water is used for irrigation in many places.
- When the month of Ramadan ends, Muslims use dates and laban, the liquid released after whipping butter, for food.
- Biologists know more than 200 species of date palm. The most difficult to grow and therefore expensive variety is Medjool. Its fruits are large and caramel-like. They are harvested one at a time, while other trees are harvested in clusters.
- The date itself is an oblong kernel up to 8 cm long and 4 cm wide. It can withstand temperatures down to -14 ° C.
- Dates are delicious both fresh and dried or boiled. In the Middle East, they are used to bake bread. The taste of date honey and wine is unique. Even a substitute for coffee can be made from roasted date seeds.
Dried dates are a product that benefits the whole body, if a person has no contraindications to its consumption. But most people perceive it as a sweet, created by nature. True, with all that said, observing reasonable limits in the use of dates is a guarantee of true enjoyment.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only purposes. Consult with your health care professional before applying any recommendations. specialist before using the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."